Zucchini, Pea and Mint Fritters
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup fresh peas
- handful of chopped mint
- handful of chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
- ¾ cups grated parmesan
- ½ cup coconut flour
- olive oil to shallow fry
- 1 egg
- extra flour to shape fritters
- roasted tomatoes to serve
- First off, drain the grated zucchini by pressing it firmly in a cheesecloth, or you can just use your hands, to remove excess moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, peas, herbs, parmesan, flour and egg. Mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pot, use the extra flour to shape the fritters and shallow fry until brown and crisp.
Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with roasted tomatoes. Makes six fritters.
Banting & Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Friendly
Mindful Eating Fact:
Many of our foods that are labeled ‘free range’ are merely cage free or barn raised, these animals are often only ‘free to roam’ in sandy paddocks, never seeing or walking on grass. I would like to see these products correctly labelled as cage free instead of free range which applies particularly to ‘free range’ eggs. ‘Free range’ chickens in South Africa are still often routinely debeaked or ‘trimmed’, fed GMO grains and the male chicks are macerated alive. There are a handful of true free range egg suppliers in South Africa and generally their eggs are not available at the major retail stores.